- Code SCOM4014
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for the Public Awareness of Science
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Science Communication
- Areas of interest Science Communication
- Aspects of gender and multiculturalism
- Language in science, misconceptions and analogies
- Current developments in science communication
- Research in science communication.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of the problems of communicating science to the public
2. Demonstrate understanding of the implications of the theory of constructivism
3. Describe his or her own way of learning
4. Evaluate and discuss the influences of gender and culture
5. Describe the effect of the evolution of the public awareness movement nationally and internationally
6. Design a science communication artefact for a specified audience
7. Conduct independent research, analysis and synthesis
8. Present information appropriately to a prescribed audience
Assessment will be based on:
- Portfolio evidence (50%, LO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Production of a science communication artefact (10%, LO 1, 2, 6, 8)
- Research assignment (15%, LO 7, 8)
- Topic presentation (20%, LO 8)
- Analysis of seminars (5%, LO 7, 8)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Centre for the Public Awareness of Science to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4821||15 Feb 2016||26 Feb 2016||31 Mar 2016||27 May 2016||In Person||N/A|