- Code SCOM8004B
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by Centre for the Public Awareness of Science
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Science Communication
- Areas of interest Science Communication
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr William Grant
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
Students in this course develop their science communication skills while training for and touring with the Shell Questacon Science Circus. The course includes experience in the development of science presentations and workshops, the presentation of science shows to audiences of all ages (with an emphasis on school-age audiences), the presentation of teacher development workshops, explaining science and exhibits to members of the public, promotion of a science outreach program, the operation of a travelling science exhibition, and the coordination of activities while on tour.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have knowledge, skills and experience in:
1. Explaining science and technology concepts to audiences of varied ages and backgrounds, including school students, teachers, general public, remote communities and Indigenous audiences
2. The design and delivery of science shows, resource materials and workshops on a range of science and technology topics at a level appropriate to a wide range of audiences including Indigenous audiences
3. The skills and attributes necessary to the efficient and effective functioning of a team, as well as an understanding of group dynamics and some experience in small team management
4. The operation of an outreach education program (including a travelling science exhibition)
5. Implementation of a media campaign to promote a travelling science outreach program
Assessment will comprise:
Shell Questacon Science Circus touring. Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3 and 4(12.5%)
Development of science presentations. Learning Outcomes 1 and 2 (5%)
Explaining science exhibits. Learning Outcome 1 (4%)
Teacher professional development workshops. Learning Outcomes 1 and 2 (4%)
Promotion of tour. Learning Outcome 5 (5%)
Cross-cultural communication. Learning Outcomes 1, 2 and 4 (7%)
Work experience placement. Learning Outcome 1 (Course requirement satisfied)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Contact: 130 hours, Non contact: 130 Hours
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8053||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|