- Code STAT6038
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Rsch Sch of Finance, Actuarial Studies & App Stats
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Statistics
- Areas of interest Actuarial Studies, Finance, Statistics
- Academic career PGRD
- Ian McDermid
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
STAT2008/STAT6038 is a course in applied statistics that studies the use of linear regression techniques for examining relationships between variables. The course emphasizes the principles of statistical modelling through the iterative process of fitting a model, examining the fit to assess imperfections in the model and suggest alternative models, and continuing until a satisfactory model is reached. Both steps in this process require the use of a computer: model fitting uses various numerical algorithms, and model assessment involves extensive use of graphical displays. The R statistical computing package is used as an integral part of the course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this courses, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the R statistical computing language, particularly the graphical capabilities.
- Fit simple linear regression models, interpret model parameters and relate theses back to the underlying research question.
- Analyse and interpret relatiosnhips between a response variable and a covariate.
- Analyse and interpret relationships between a response variable and several covariates.
- Assess and refine simple and multiple linear regression models based on diagnostic measures. Identify and discuss the implications of outlying and influential data points.
- Select and discuss a useful multiple linear regression model from a number of competing models.
See the course outline on the College courses page. Outlines are uploaded as they become available.
Assignment 1: 20%
Assignment 2: 20%
Final examination: 60%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadStudents taking this course are expected to commit at least 10 hours a week to completing the work.
This will include:
- attendance at 3 lectures per week and 1 tutorial
- 6 or more hours of private study, including time spent reviewing course materials and completing computing, tutorial work and assignments.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2766||15 Feb 2016||26 Feb 2016||31 Mar 2016||27 May 2016||In Person||N/A|