- Code ANTH8028
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Resource Management in Asia Pacific
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Anthropology
- Areas of interest Geography, Anthropology, Resource and Environmental Management
- Academic career PGRD
- AsPr Colin Filer
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
Second Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
This course will examine social impact assessment (SIA) during the various stages of the project cycle. Social impact assessment will be examined in relation to different conceptual frameworks and types of project or activity. Alternative approaches to the assessment of impacts on livelihood, institutions, social structure, equity, culture and quality of life will be examined. The course will place a strong emphasis on practical case studies and students will be given opportunities to explore alternative impact assessment approaches in a number of sectors and within different national jurisdictions.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding the legal and policy contexts in which social impact studies are undertaken.
2. Explain current variation in the content and methodology of social impact studies.
3. Critically evaluate social impact studies that have already been undertaken.
Delivery Mode: Oncampus; Online
1. Discussion forum on typology of impact studies (25%) [LO 1,2]
- Podcast on personal experience of social impacts (3 mins) (5%).
- Participation in discussion forum (5%).
- Reflection paper on typology of social impact studies (1000 words) (15%).
2. Discussion forum on cumulative impact studies (25%) [LO 1,2]
- Participation in discussion forum (5%).
- Annotated bibliography on a cumulative impact issue in one region (1000 words) (15%).
3. Critical evaluation of a social impact study (50%) [LO3]
- Case study proposal and peer review (750 words) (10%).
- Evaluation of case study document (3000 words) (40%).
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
This course is provided through flexible delivery to both on campus and off campus students. Students doing the course on-campus will be required to attend weekly 2-hour workshops. Off-campus students will be required to participate in online discussions.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Resource Management in Asia Pacific to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8012||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|
|9744||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||Online||N/A|