- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Geography, Interdisciplinary Studies - Sustainability, Resource Management and Environmental Science, Development Studies, Environmental Studies More...
- Minor code ENVP-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
Policy expertise is scarce in the rapidly expanding areas of natural resource management, urban environmental management, and sustainable development. There are significant career opportunities in all three levels of Australian government, as well as in the expanding regional organisations, and in the private sector. In particular, graduates with substantial policy skills matched with a sound background in areas such as climate science, water science, landscape ecology and similar areas are highly sought after, in Australia and internationally. The minor in Environmental Policy offers foundational knowledge in public policy, placed firmly within the context of some of the big challenges in areas such as climate impacts and adaptation, landscape management and water resource management, Details of environmental policy positions that many former ANU students are now working in are at: http://fennerschool-people.anu.edu.au/richard_baker/resources/formernow.html>.
Advice to Students:
What 1st year courses should you enrol in? Students interested in Environmental Policy are encouraged to take as part of their degree program at least one of ENVS1001 Environment and Society: Geography of Sustainability and ENVS1008 Sustainable Development.
Science students undertaking this minor in a combined degree will be restricted to courses offered or approved by Science.
Students should seek further course advice from the academic convener of this Environmental Policy minor.
Please note that students undertaking a Bachelor of Science in a Flexible Double Degree will only be able to choose courses with ENVS codes from the lists above to count towards a science degree.
Areas of Interest
- Interdisciplinary Studies - Sustainability
- Resource Management and Environmental Science
- Development Studies
- Environmental Studies
- Policy Studies
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Affairs (BARTVMIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (Sustainability) (BISSU)
- Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (Sustainability) Advanced (Honours) (AISSU)
- Bachelor of Pacific Studies (BPAST)
- Bachelor of Science (BSC)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) (Honours) (ASCAD)
- Bachelor of Science (Resource and Environmental Management) (BSREM)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
6 units from completion of the following course(s):
A maximum of 6 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|Economics for the Environment
|Essentials of Environmental Law
A minimum of 12 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|Climate Change Science & Policy
|International Environmental Policy
|Public policy development and implementation and Indigenous Australians
|SOCY 3123: Policy Evaluation