- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Cell and Molecular Biology, Biology
- Minor code MOBI-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
Molecular biology is the study of life processes occurring at the molecular level, including the storage, transfer and regulation of genetic information and the interactions between molecules and cells. Many areas, such as biochemistry, cell biology, or developmental biology, apply and are underpinned by molecular biology processes. Molecular biology has led to the development of new analytical tools including genomics, bioinformatics, proteomics and recombinant DNA technology. The molecular biology minor will provide you with foundational knowledge of the molecular processes that occur in cells as well as an understanding of the basis and applications of molecular biology techniques. You will have the opportunity to apply your knowledge to a range of problems in basic biology as well as medicine, agriculture and industry. This minor provides a solid grounding for further study in any area of the molecular life sciences. Given the importance of molecular genetic technologies in today’s society the minor is also of value in a range of careers including the formulation of policy in agriculture, conservation, health and environmental studies.
Students completing the minor in Molecular Biology will be able to:
- Explain the molecular basis for inheritance and the way in which genetic information is expressed in cells.
- Develop and implement experimental strategies to investigate different biological and experimental systems and analyse and present results of these investigations.
- Evaluate genetic technologies and their impacts in medicine, agriculture and other areas of biotechnology.
- Locate, evaluate and critically analyse scientific literature in the many areas of biology that utilise molecular biology techniques.
- Communicate data and information in clear and effective ways to science and non-science literate audiences.
Advice to Students
Students should seek further course advice from the academic convener of this Molecular Biology minor.
Back to the top
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
18 units from completion of the following course(s):
|BIOL2161||Genes: Replication and Expression||6|
|BIOL2162||Molecular Gene Technology||6|
|BIOL3161||Genomics and its Applications||6|
6 units from completion of the following course(s):
|BIOL3141||Infection and Immunity||6|
|BIOL3177||Advances in Molecular Plant Science||6|
|BIOL3208||Biology Research Project||6|