- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code THAI-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
<iframe width="420" height="235" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/75wPaCVxj80?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thai is the national and official language of Thailand and spoken by about 60 million people. The study of Thai is essential for anyone wishing to understand Thailand’s culture, society and long history. As Australia’s future is increasingly tied to the nations of Asia, the importance of Thai will continue to grow. Knowledge of the language is a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test.
By the end of the Thai language major students should be able to:
- Express themselves well in a formal or informal register, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking.
- Read and understand newspapers and other texts in Thai
- Engage with authentic Thai language media
- Write in Thai in the appropriate style using the correct grammar and the vocabulary appropriate the genre, contents and audience
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews in Thai either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Affairs (BARTVMIA)
- Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Studies (Year in Asia) (BAPYA)
- Bachelor of Asian Studies (BASIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|INDN 3004: Readings in SEA Culture|
|INDN 3005: Adv Readings in SEA Cult|
|THAI 1004: Thai 1A: In-Country|
|THAI 3006: Mod Thai Prose|
|THAI 3012: Mod Thai Prose: In-Country|