- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code INDN-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
This minor aims at developing students' ability to communicate in a culturally and socially appropriate manner in Indonesian—the national language of Australia's closest neighbour, and a language with 165 million speakers. The minor emphasises the importance of cultural as well as linguistic fluency from the introductory level onwards and stress the functional and situational use of the language in every day life. Not only will students be able to converse on topics of relevance and interest to themselves and to Indonesian speakers, but they will be able to read and write the language as it appears in the media and in literature.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test.
By the end of the Indonesian language major students should be able to:
- express themselves well in a formal or informal register, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking.
- read and understand newspapers and other texts in Indonesian
- engage with authentic Indonesian language media
- write in Indonesian in the appropriate style using the correct grammar and the vocabulary appropriate the genre, contents and audience
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews in Indonesian either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year. For a list of courses that will be offered in the current year, please see the Summary of Courses page.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Affairs (BARTVMIA)
- Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Studies (Year in Asia) (BAPYA)
- Bachelor of Asian Studies (BASIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Pacific Studies (BPAST)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|INDN 1005: Indonesian 1A: In-Country
|INDN 1006: Indonesian 1B: In-Country
|INDN 2004: Indonesian 2A: In-Country
|INDN 2006: Indonesian 2B: In-Country
|INDN 3012: Advanced Indonesian A
|INDN 3013: Advanced Indonesian B
|ASIA 2108: Popular Cultures in Indonesia
|The Shape of Indonesian: Its Structure and Development
|Popular Cultures in Indonesia (L)
|INDN 3004: Readings in SEA Culture
|INDN 3005: Adv Readings in SEA Cult
|INDN 3007: Intro SEAsian Performing Arts
|Translation from Indonesian
|Introduction to Southeast Asian Performing Arts: Performance, Genres and Intercultural Translation