- Code BIOL3190
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Biology Teaching and Learning Centre
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Biology
- Academic career UGRD
- Sara Rapson
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2017
See Future Offerings
BIOL3190 is offered in coursework mode in second semester. This course is designed to provide an opportunity for students undertaking the Bachelor of Medical Science to learn about applications of the medical sciences in the work place. Various guest speakers, who will be professionals in different areas of medical science and/or research, will discuss their work, career, ethics and legal liability. Visits to work places such as different departments of the Canberra Hospital, research schools and pathology laboratories will be organised. Students will also work in small groups to design and run an interview with a medical professional or researcher.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
After successfully completing this course, you will have acquired the following knowledge and skills to:
- Understand select human diseases in their biological, historical and social context.
- Describe and contrast important current human infectious diseases and chronic degenerative diseases.
- Appraise the impacts of important human diseases (both infectious and degenerative diseases) on human’s societies.
- Independently, and in a small group, research current topics in health and disease using published books, original papers, electronic resources and other materials.
- Work in small cooperative groups on a research project on a current topic in health and disease.
- Prepare reports and an oral presentation on a current topic in health and disease.
- Develop and apply critical and argumentative thinking to broad issues in health and disease.
Indicative AssessmentAssessment will be based on:
- Summary of selected seminars (36 %, LO 1, 6,7)
- Attendance to seminars ( 8%, LO 3, 6)
- Interview Discussion (24%, LO1 - 5 )
- Visits quizzes (12%, LO 1)
- Learning Outcomes Report (20%, LO1, 7)
This course is assessed on a Course Requirement Satisfied (CRS) or Fail basis.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload1 hour seminar per week, visits to workplace for up to 12 hours, workshops up to 6 hours.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7405||24 Jul 2017||31 Jul 2017||31 Aug 2017||27 Oct 2017||In Person||N/A|