- Code CHIN3020
- Unit Value 6 units
This is a lower- intermediate level Chinese language course, following on from Modern Chinese 2. Together with Modern Chinese 4 (CHIN3021), this course is designed to cover the main grammatical points of Modern Chinese language as well as enlarging students' vocabulary which will raise students' linguistic competence in reading, writing, listening and speaking modern Chinese. It aims at laying a solid foundation for more advanced Chinese language study in the third year and beyond.
In addition to the coverage of the textbook, the course will also utilize other textual and audio / visual materials so that students can also learn about aspects of Chinese culture, history, and society.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
By successfully completing this course, students should:
- Acquire more basic grammatical structures of Modern Chinese.
- Further enlarge their vocabulary to about 1,600 (include those learned in the first year)
- Be more confident in using the language to conduct conversations on everyday topics.
- Be more competent in reading and listening to more sophisticated texts on topics related to the textbook.
- Be more aware of the features of written Chinese which is different from their oral counterpart.
- Learn more about aspects of Chinese culture and society.
- Weekly homework 10%
- One mid-semester listening test 10%
- One mid-semester oral test 10 %
- One mid-semester written test 15%
- Final listening test 15%
- Final oral test 10%
- Final written exam 30%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Five contact hours per week plus homework and self-study time.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2233||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||In Person||N/A|