- Code EMSC8021
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Earth Sciences
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Earth and Marine Science
- Areas of interest Earth and Marine Sciences
This course consists of a series of advanced modules from the discipline areas of geochemistry, petrology and tectonics. The course combines advanced theory in these areas with integrated case studies and applications related to current research topics. The course is relevant to understanding the fundamental principles of the geological processes that affect the solid Earth. The course will focus on the physical and chemical characteristic (including isotopic systems) of minerals, fluids and melts and how they influence the differentiation of Earth and contributed to its evolution over time.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand advanced concepts in geochemistry, petrology and tectonics;
- Explain the link between the physical and chemical properties of minerals and large scale tectonic processes;
- Illustrate how advanced concepts in geochemistry, petrology and tectonics shape current research directions
- Apply these concepts to their Masters research project.
Assessment will be based on:
• Theory exam (50% LO 1, 2, 3)
• Practicals (50% LO 2, 3, 4)
WorkloadIntensive course with a total of 30 hours of lectures and 35 hours of practicals. Students are expected to spend an additional 60 hours on work related to the course
Requisite and Incompatibility
A Basic knowledge of chemistry.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3599||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||In Person||N/A|