- Code ENGN6512
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Physics Education Centre and the Research School of Engineering
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science / ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Engineering
- Academic career PGRD
- Prof Dragomir Neshev
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2017
See Future Offerings
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
In this course students will:
- Understand and be able to explain the principles and operation of a laser;
- Gain hands-on experience in working with lasers;
- Understand and be able to apply the principles of optical modulation and detection as well as evaluate its performance;
- Understand nonlinear optics and photonics phenomena and how they impact modern advanced technological systems;
- Be able to apply complex optical techniques in cutting edge optical instrumentations and optical engineering applications.
- Generate succinct laboratory reports based on experimental observations and theoretical analysis.
- Demonstrate effective team work in laboratory experiments.
Examination 30%, laboratory 30%, assignments 30%, case study 10%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
20 lectures, 6 tutorials, 3 lecture slots of Student talks and 18 hours of laboratories
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3168||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||In Person||N/A|