- Code ITAL3016
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Italian
- Areas of interest Contemporary Europe, Gender Studies, History, Literature, Film
This course continues to develop students' communicative competence in Italian, and refine students' analytical skills as well as their imaginative writing ability. This is done through practice in the recognition, analysis and production - especially written - of formal registers and structures of the language. Texts will be studied in relation to their socio-cultural, historical and genre framework within thematic areas of inquiry, which include one or more of gender, literary history, Italian literature and film. Specific topics covered may vary from year to year. The course may be completed more than once if a different topic is studied each time.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand and interpret a wide range of demanding texts (written/visual; aural/oral) on contemporary issues;
- Appreciate distinction of style, genres and recognize implicit meaning in a variety of factual and literary texts;
- Use accurate and idiomatic Italian grammar in written and spoken production;
- Demonstrate orally and in writing their ability to use a wide lexicon appropriately according to style, register, context and genre;
- Express themselves fluently and spontaneously in class interaction, taking into consideration others' perspectives;
- Conduct research and deliver well-structured oral presentations and written texts on complex subjects.
For more information about upcoming Advanced Italian Topics in Language, Culture and Society, please reference information available on the School of Literature, Languages, and Linguistics website.
Indicative Assessment2 x written assignments of 1400 words each (25% each) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6]
1 x oral presentation (20 mins; recorded) (25%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
1 x oral test (10 mins; recorded) (15%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
In-class active participation (preparing materials and active involvement in in-class activities) (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
3 hours of lectures and tutorials per week for 13 weeks. Students are expected to undertake a further 7 hours of self-directed study per week over the semester (total of 130 hours).
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|Literature, History, Cinema|
|7186||24 Jul 2017||31 Jul 2017||31 Aug 2017||27 Oct 2017||In Person||N/A|