- Code JPNS6014
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Japanese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
(a) Grammar and vocabulary of modern written Japanese
(b) acquisition of further 300 kanji (c) reading of Japanese texts; (d) basic composition.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course students should have the skills and knowledge to:
1. Demonstrate mastery of basic vocabulary and grammatical constructions necessary to read non-specialised, real-world Japanese language texts such as newspapers and magazines
2. Read near real-world materials on assigned themes without a dictionary
3. Read general audience, real world texts slowly with the aid of a dictionary
4. Recall, summarise and identify key points of texts read orally and in writing
5. Begin to conduct basic research and read independently in Japanese
6. Express one's opinions, conclusions and research outcomes in formal written Japanese
Midterm - 15%; Final exam - 35%; Kanji Quizzes (22) - 20%; Grammar quizzes (10) - 10%; Essays (3) - 15%; Newspaper assignments (10) - 5%
Students can expect to spend 10 hours per week on this course inclusive of Three hours of class contact per week
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Culture History and Language to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Kamada, O. et al. Authentic Japanese: Progressing from Intermediate to Advanced, Japan Times, 1998
Spahn, M. and Hadamitzky, W., Japanese Character Dictionary, Nichigai Associates, 1989.
Additional photocopied materials will be provided.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2253||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||In Person||N/A|