- Code LAWS4217
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Law School
- ANU College ANU College of Law
- Course subject Laws
- Areas of interest Law
- Academic career UGRD
- Anne Macduff
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2017
See Future Offerings
The course is designed to equip students with the theoretical and practical knowledge to take a considered position on family law issues. The course covers the following areas of family law:
- violence and abuse in families;
- decision-making about parenting after separation;
- economic aspects of marriage; and
- de-facto relationship breakdown.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
1. Describe, discuss, explain, analyse and critique key principles of family law and be able to cite the relevant legislative provisions and case law appropriately;
2. Apply your knowledge of family law creatively and with initiative to construct an accurate written advice that provides a solution to a complex hypothetical family law problem, with intellectual independence;
3. Locate, describe, apply and critically evaluate key aspects of family law and selected secondary academic literature about family law and its reforms covered in this course;
4. Plan and complete a research project, with some independence;
5. Outline, summarise and analyse a range of perspectives that are relevant to family law and critically examine (in written and oral form) the law from those perspectives;
6. Acquire experience in project management, collaborative learning and demonstrate personal and communication skills to function effectively in small groups comprising a variety of participants/audiences;
7. Reflect coherently upon your learning in the course, your own values, the values underlying the family law system, and the differences between family law and practice in other legal areas.
Indicative AssessmentWe present two options. Currently the summative tasks are:
• Take-home assignment (50%)
• Group submission to Parliamentary enquiry (35%)
• Reflective journal (15%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree contact hours per week. Students are generally expected to devote at least 10 hours overall per week to this course.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7330||24 Jul 2017||31 Jul 2017||31 Aug 2017||27 Oct 2017||In Person||N/A|