Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:By the conclusion of this course, it is intended that students who have successfully completed all the course requirements will be able to:
- Develop and demonstrate a sound understanding of basic economic methodology as applied in the law and regulation of economics;
- Identify, critically analyse and explain the meaning of concepts such as efficiency, justice, rights, legal rules and institutions and the relationships between them;
- Identify and critically evaluate the economic consequences and role of law and legal institutions in that context;
- Analyse and critically evaluate specific legal policy issues from a law and economics perspective; and
- Plan, design and individually execute a research based project that identifies and critically examines aspects of economic regulation and the legal framework that underlines it.
Other InformationThis is an intensive course with a 4 day compulsory intensive (see LLM timetable for dates).
Approximately 6 weeks from the completion of the intensive your final assessment will be due. Contact with fellow students and the convenor, both prior to the intensive and after, is conducted via the Wattle course site.
Indicative AssessmentAssessment for this course will likely consist of:
- Class Participation (10%)
- Research Essay (90%, 7000 words)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload26 hours of face to face teaching (4 day intensive). The course will also require advanced preparation through assigned readings. In total, it is anticipated that the hours required for completion this course (class preparation, teaching and completion of assessment) will not exceed 120 hours.
Click here for the LLM Masters Program timetable
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsThe prescribed text for this course is:
- Robert D. COOTER and Thomas ULEN (2012), Law and Economics, Addison Wesley Longman, 6th edition
Preliminary ReadingIt is highly recommended students have access to:
- Posner, Richard A. Economic Analysis of Law, 8th edition, 2010, Aspen Law & Business; especially Parts III, IV, VI and VII
- Mueller, Dennis C. Public Choice III, 3rd ed. 2003, Cambridge University Press especially chapters 1-3 and 16
- Kahn, A. E. (1988) The Economics of Regulation: Principles and Institutions, MIT Press Chapter 1
Students must rely on the approved Course Study Guide which will be posted to the Wattle course site approximately 4 weeks prior to the commencement of the course.
Assumed KnowledgeStudents without an Australian law degree must have completed LAWS8587 Law & Economics of Regulation
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9717||13 Oct 2017||13 Oct 2017||27 Oct 2017||28 Nov 2017||In Person||N/A|