- Code MEAS6503
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Middle Eastern & Central Asian Studies
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, Contemporary Europe, History, Asian Studies, Central Asia Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Explain in depth the major issues and concepts relating to Turkish politics, history, people and culture.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of the impact of long state tradition and influence of political and military institutions on politics and culture in modern Turkey.
- Apply modern political concepts such as nation-building, political Islam, minority movements, legitimacy, and sovereignty to the Turkish case.
- Critically analyse the foreign policy of Turkey with an emphasis on the Middle East, Balkans and Caucasus.
- Undertake in depth research and analysis to write and present original work related to the study of Turkish history, politics and culture.
Participation (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Essay of 3500 words (40%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
Final Exam 3 hours (50%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures and 12 hours of tutorials; and b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Preliminary ReadingAhmad, F., The Making of Modern Turkey, New York: Routledge, 1993.
Lewis, B., The Emergence of Modern Turkey, London & Oxford & New York: Oxford University Press, 1967.
Zürcher, E. J., Turkey: A Modern History, London: IB Tauris, 2004.
Kalaycioglu, E., Turkish Dynamics: Bridge Across Troubled Lands, Gordonsville: Palgrave, Macmillan, 2005.
C¸arkog?lu, A. & Hale, W. (eds), The Politics of Modern Turkey: Critical Issues in Modern Politics (4 Volumes), London : Routledge, 2008.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.