- Code NSPO8003
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU National Security College
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject National Security Policy
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, American Studies, Non Language Asian Studies, Australian Studies, History More...
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
This course provides participants with an understanding of, and experience in, strategy planning and implementation in a national security context. Participants will be expected to make a full and creative contribution to a group project concerning a hypothetical national security challenge.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
To meet the learning outcomes participants will need to demonstrate and ability to:
- Understand a strategy planning methodology;
- Understand ways to assess the strategic environment;
- Analyse and evaluate strategy aims, instrument and options;
- Communicate strategy options;
- Understand the complexity of implementation; and
- Work collaboratively as part of a small project group.
3,000 word policy paper (50%); small group project (20%); examination (30%).
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Weekly seminars/project team meetings and assessment.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Terry L. Deibel, Foreign Affairs Strategy: Logic for American Statecraft, Cambridge, 2007
Areas of Interest
- Arab and Islamic Studies
- American Studies
- Non Language Asian Studies
- Australian Studies
- International Relations
- Political Communication
- Political Sciences
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Pacific Studies
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.