• Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
  • ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
  • Classification Transitional
  • Course subject Spanish
  • Areas of interest European Languages, International Relations, Translation Studies, Latin American Languages, Latin American Studies
  • Academic career PGRD
  • Course convener
    • Dr Elisabeth Mayer
  • Mode of delivery In Person
  • Co-taught Course
  • Offered in First Semester 2017
    See Future Offerings

This course is a practical introduction to the Spanish language. Based on a communicative and culture-based approach, this course is designed to develop basic listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in the Spanish language. Students are introduced to grammatical and syntactic structures, and training in language learning strategies is provided. The student acquires the language largely through simulated real-life situations in the classroom as well as in the laboratory. Throughout the semester, cultural aspects of the Hispanic world are introduced through the language classes.

Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:

Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
  1. Identify differences and similarities of grammatical structures in Spanish and English.
  2. Understand and use the audiovisual material (exercises and videos) in Spanish.
  3. Read, comprehend and understand short literary and non-literary texts about customs and culture in Spanish speaking countries.
  4. Write short texts.
  5. Ask questions, directions and discuss a variety of topics confidently in Spanish.
  6. Reflect on their learning experience

Indicative Assessment

4 mini test 10 min each (5% each, total 20%), [LOs 1,2,3]
1 in-class essay 50 min (150-170 words, 15%) [LO 4]
2 written tests 50 min each (15%, 20% each, total 35%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
1 oral exam 10 min (15%) [LOs 1,5]
1 Reflective Essay, 1500 words, 10% [LO 1,3,4,6]
Performance and participation in class (5%). [LOs 1,2,3,4,5]

The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.

Workload

130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact: communicative practise and learning in language tutorials.
b)12 hours of contact by interactive Grammar lectures
c) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing in preparation for the weekly language tutorials.

Requisite and Incompatibility

You are not able to enrol in this course if you have previously completed SPAN1001.

Prescribed Texts

Andrade, Tu Mundo 1st edition + Connect Plus, Mc Graw Hill Education

Fees

Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.  

If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.

Student Contribution Band:
1
Unit value:
6 units

If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.  Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.

Units EFTSL
6.00 0.12500
Domestic fee paying students
Year Fee
2017 $3216
International fee paying students
Year Fee
2017 $4590
Note: Please note that fee information is for current year only.

Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links

The list of offerings for future years is indicative only.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.

First Semester

Class number Class start date Last day to enrol Census date Class end date Mode Of Delivery Class Summary
2969 20 Feb 2017 27 Feb 2017 31 Mar 2017 26 May 2017 In Person N/A

Responsible Officer: Registrar, Student Administration / Page Contact: Website Administrator / Frequently Asked Questions