- Code THAI3002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Thai
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
(a) Intensive reading of modern Thai texts
(b) Thai discussions and debates
(c) formal and informal styles
(d) advanced composition
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
By the completion of this course the student will:
- Be able to speak with increasing structural and lexical accuracy
- Be able to understand longer items on abstract topics when these items are presented in a relatively straightforward manner and (if spoken) delivery is not too fast
- Participate effectively in informal and some more formal conversations, discussions and debates
- Be able to elaborate on your own reactions and attitudes towards the topics under discussion
- Become familiar with some cultural references, proverbs and idiomatic expressions
- Be able to write a variety of text types of increasing complexity, including information, expository and discussion texts
- Be able to use discourse connectives and more complex structures fairly accurately
- Gain an understanding of some of the political, economic and social events which have influenced Thai society
Other InformationSuggested follow-up courses: THAI3008 Advanced Readings in Thai Language and Culture, THAI3006 Modern Thai Prose, ASIA3014 Southeast Asian Frontiers: Thailand and Burma/Myanmar, ASIA5920 Semester in Asia, Year in Asia, ASIA3006 Practical Assignment in Asia and Pacific
Oral tests during the semester (40%), written assignments (40%), written mid-semester and final exam (20%).
Workload2 class hours and 1 tutorial per week
Requisite and Incompatibility
To be advised
Review of readings in Thai 2A and 2B.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2265||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||In Person||N/A|
|3569||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||Online||N/A|