- Code TURK1001
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Turkish
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, Middle East Studies, Language Studies
This course will introduce students to the study of the Turkish language, starting with the Turkish alphabet, pronunciation and spelling. Students will gain an understanding of Turkish people and culture and learn basic vocabulary for use in daily conversations and the reading of basic texts. Students will acquire knowledge of Simple Continuous and Past Tenses together with several grammatical rules and an understanding of Turkish sentence structure. No previous knowledge of the Turkish language is required.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the alphabet, spelling and pronunciation of the Turkish language and some familiarity with vowel harmony.
- Communicate in everyday life situations in Turkish within a range of selected topics.
- Write and understand simple short sentences and read passages of moderate length in Turkish.
- Understand basic grammatical concepts including genitive construction, imperative and optative moods and the use of Present Continuous and Simple Past tenses as appropriate to the Turkish language.
- Understand Turkish culture and society through reading related texts and cases.
All the lessons include exercises, reading passages and listening to tapes. Students will have a work-book and glossary for their homework. The lecturer may provide reading passages whenever necessary. The students are encouraged to read some articles and books on Turkish Language and Culture written in English.
Participation (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
6 Course Workbook Exercises (3% each for a total 18%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4, 5]
2 In-class Quizzes, 30 min each (6% each for a total 12%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4]
Mid-semester Written Exam 1 hour (20%) [Learning Outcomes 1- 4]
Final Exam (oral component: 5 min -10%; written component: 2 hours - 30%) (Total 40%) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 48 hours of lectures; and b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
TÖMER Yeni Hitit 1 Yabancilar Için Türkçe Ders Kitabi (Course Book), Ankara: Ankara University Press, 2012.
TÖMER Yeni Hitit 1 Yabancilar Için Türkçe Çalisma Kitabi (Workbook), Ankara: Ankara University Press, 2012.
Lewis, G.L., Turkish Grammar (2nd edition), Oxford & New York: Oxford University Press, 2000.
Thomas, L.V. Elementary Turkish, (revised and edited by Itzkowitz, N.), Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1986.
Aarssen, J. & Backus, A., Colloquial Turkish: The Complete Course for Beginners, London & New York: Routledge, 2001.
Rona, B., Turkish in Three Months, Woodbridge, Suffolk: Hugo 1989.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3586||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||In Person||N/A|