- Code ARTH2056
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Art History
- Areas of interest Art History, History, Arts
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
- Offered in See Future Offerings
This course will provide a broad introduction to major themes and forms of art and architecture in Southeast Asia, from the prehistoric pottery and bronzes of Thailand through Hindu-Buddhist architecture and sculpture to the art of later coastal commercial empires and the modern and contemporary art of the 20th and 21st centuries. The course will also examine the interplay between art and royal patronage, religious practice and colonial power.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Recognise key attributes of Southeast Asian art and use these to identify Southeast Asian works of art, individually and in collaboration with peers;
2. Relate art objects and creation to their historical and contemporary milieu;
3. Use specific examples to evaluate theories of and approaches to Southeast Asian art, individually and in collaboration with peers;
4. Reflect on and discuss the ways in which meanings are communicated by Southeast Asian art;
5. Research, select and combine examples and integrate key textual and archival sources to develop and present, orally and in writing, your own perspectives on key themes in Southeast Asian art.
One 2000 word essay and presentation (40%), one 1000 word essay and presentation (20%), an 800 word Wiki entry (15%), and a visual paper (25%).
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 30 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 18 hours of lectures and 12 hours of tutorials; and b) 100 hours of independent student research, reading and writing. Contact hours may include visits to major art institutions in Canberra.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Kerlogue, Fiona, Arts of Southeast Asia, London: Thames and Hudson, 2004
Maxwell, Robyn, Textiles of Southeast Asia, 2nd ed, Hongkong: Periplus, 2003
Roxas-Lim, Aurora, Southeast Asian art and culture: ideas, forms and societies, Jakarta: ASEAN, 2005
Christina Sumner and Milton Osborne, Arts of Southeast Asia, Sydney: Powerhouse Publishing, 2001.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9413||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|