- Code MATH6242
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics, Physics
This course introduces students to basic concepts in differential geometry and topology.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the fundamental concepts of the differential geometry and topology of curves and surfaces.
2. Demonstrate accurate and effective use of fundamental techniques of differential geometry and topology.
3. Refine geometrical problem-solving and analysis skills and relate them to existing body of knowledge in mathematics, physics, and engineering.
4. Present advanced concepts in geometry and topology orally and in writing.
Indicative AssessmentBiweekly problems sets (30%,LO 1,2,3)
Mid-semester and final exams (20% and 30%, respectively (LO 1,2,3)
1. in consultation with the course lecturer, students will select a topic related to this course, and through reading of the relevant literature, acquire a fundamental knowledge of that topic.
2. Write a report on the selected topic and highlight key questions currently researched in the field.
(20%, LO 1,2,3,4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree lectures per week, tutorials by arrangements.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Mathematical Sciences Institute to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces by Manfredo Do Carmo
Differential Topology by Victor Guillemin and Alan Pollack
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9066||24 Jul 2017||31 Jul 2017||31 Aug 2017||27 Oct 2017||In Person||N/A|