- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Chemistry, Biology
- Major code BCHM-MAJ
- Academic career Undergraduate
Biochemistry is a scientific discipline that combines biological and chemical concepts and methods. It is focused on the understanding of molecules that are relevant to biological processes. These can be small molecules that form part of metabolic pathways, chemical compounds that bind to biological molecules and macromolecules such as DNA, RNA and proteins. Biochemistry as a discipline investigates the structure and function of these molecules either in isolation or in a cellular context. Biochemists generate and modify molecules to understand their function and design molecules with novel properties.
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Combine chemical and biological concepts to understand the structure and function of molecules that are relevant to biological processes.
- Integrate chemical and biological concepts and ideas to solve problems of a biochemical nature.
- Have well developed laboratory based skills in methods that investigate biomolecules.
- Undertake appropriate risk assessments and use biochemicals in a safe manner.
- Use software and instrumentation for the acquisition, processing and analysis of biochemical data.
- Access relevant biochemical literature and use it to present well constructed arguments based on sound biochemical reasoning.
- Perform both collaborative and independent research in a professional manner.
- Communicate biochemical concepts clearly and accurately to an expert or a non-expert audience.
- Recognize the interdisciplinary nature of biochemistry and its underlying significance in other areas of science, such as medicine.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical and social dimensions of practising biochemistry.
This major requires the completion of 48 units, which must consist of:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|BIOL1004||Biology 2: Molecular and Cell Biology||6|
|BIOL2171||Biochemistry and Nutrition||6|
|CHEM2211||Chemical Biology 1||6|
6 units from completion of the following course(s):
|CHEM2208||Chemical Biology 2||6|
|BIOL2161||Genes: Replication and Expression||6|
|BIOL2162||Molecular Gene Technology||6|
18 units from completion of the following course(s):
|BIOL3107||Advances in Medical and Plant Biochemistry||6|
|BIOL3208||Biology Research Project||6|
|BIOL3209||Biology Research Project||12|
|CHEM3204||Structural Methods in Chemical Biology||6|
|CHEM3207||Current Topics in Chemical Biology||6|
|CHEM3060||Research Project in Chemistry||6|