- Total units 48 Units
- Major code CERM-MAJ
- Academic career Undergraduate
This major is only available to students undertaking the Bachelor of Visual Arts.
The Ceramics major equips students with skills and knowledge relating to the materials and processes of the discipline, from the sculptural to the functional and from technical to expressive. Students study a broad range of ceramic processes, clay forming and decorating methods. With active academic staff and excellent technical facilities, the Ceramic workshop provides an excellent study environment. Courses are led through small group teaching including presentations and seminars, with independent supervision for studio practice and research. Creative and innovative approaches to ceramics based on a thorough technical understanding of the medium and knowledge of the historical and contemporary context are presented. Concept, ideas and design development parallels technical training, allowing students to develop individual approaches.
Students who complete this major will have the skills and knowledge to:
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge of the practices, languages, forms, materials, technologies and techniques in ceramic art making.
- Apply relevant skills and knowledge to realise artefacts and forms of creative expression.
- Develop and evaluate concepts and process by thinking creatively, critically and reflectively.
- Work independently and collaboratively in a workshop environment in response to project demands.
- Apply workplace health and safety (WHS) regulations and principles within a workshop environment.
This major requires the completion of 48 units, which must consist of:
This major is available only to students undertaking the Bachelor of Visual Arts.
48 units from completion of the following course(s):
|ARTV1101||Ceramics: Materials & Technology||6|
|ARTV1102||Ceramics: Throwing & Surface Decoration||6|
|ARTV2119||Ceramics: Working Large||6|
|ARTV2120||Ceramics: Public & Private Commissioning||6|
|ARTV2124||Ceramics: Surface Decorating & Application||6|
|ARTV2125||Ceramics: Design, Process & Mould Making||6|
|ARTV3028||Craft and Design Major 7: Developing A Visual Arts Practice||6|
|ARTV3029||Craft and Design Major 8: Resolving a Body of Original Work||6|