- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code ALIT-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Literatures of Asia Minor offers a range of courses reflecting the great diversity of literary production in the Asian region. There are courses that span the work of the whole Asian region and others that focus in detail on the work of one particular country or region. The aim of this minor is to introduce students to the many literary traditions of this region and to develop their skills in reading, discussing and writing about a work of literature. Students will be encouraged to explore the social and literary environments that have shaped the production and interpretation of literary texts in both historical and contemporary cultures, and to consider the significance of such matters as a writer’s nationality, cultural background, gender, social class and historical context.
Upon completion of a Bachelor degree with a minor in Literatures of Asia, graduates will be able to:
- Identify relevant regional and international literature of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Speak and write about theories, factual content and research approaches relevant to the study of literature, particularly that of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Identify the cultural and historical backgrounds that provide the context for the development of literature across time and space in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the historical, social and cultural environments that produce literature and literary genres across the Asia-Pacific region.
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year. For a list of courses that will be offered in the current year, please see the Summary of Courses page.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A minimum of 6 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|ASIA2304||What is Literature? Asian Perspectives||6|
|ENGL2068||Empire and its Fictions||6|
|ENGL2080||Modernist Literature 1890-1940||6|
A maximum of 18 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|ASIA2080||Korean Film: History, Culture and Society||6|
|ASIA2095||Japanese Literature in Translation||6|
|ASIA2275||The Pleasures and Powers of Stories in South Asia||6|