- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code SECU-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Security Minor/Major provides specialist training in the diverse, traditional and non-traditional security challenges facing the Asia-Pacific region, and the implications for Australia’s security and defence policy. The course is intended for students wishing to pursue a career in a relevant government [Defence, Foreign Affairs and Trade, Immigration etc.] or private sector related to security affairs, or wishing to undertake graduate work in the fields of strategic and/ or security studies.
Learning OutcomesStudents will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the historical and contemporary dimensions of international, internal and transnational security in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Identify and explain the key concepts, ideas and principal actors in Asia-Pacific security.
- Analyse the key challenges facing Australian security and defence policy in the 'Asian Century'.
- Evaluate the major theoretical frameworks for understanding the complexities of the security challenges facing the Asia-Pacific region.
- Reflect critically on the principal factors that determine the security policies of Australia and the major Asia-Pacific powers.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|STST1001||Introduction to International Security Studies||6|
|STST2001||International Security issues in the Asia Pacific||6|
|STST2002||Internal security issues in the Asia-Pacific||6|
|STST2003||Australia and Security in the Pacific Islands||6|
|STST2004||Special Topic in International Security||6|
|STST3001||Transnational security issues in the Asia-Pacific||6|
|STST3002||Australia's Security in the Asian Century||6|
|STST3003||Honeypots and Overcoats: Australian Intelligence in the World||6|
|STST3004||Advanced Study in Asia-Pacific Security||6|
|INTR2012||China's New Approaches to Asia Pacific Security||6|
|INTR2014||Indian Foreign and Security Policy||6|
|INTR2016||US Security Policy in Asia||6|
|INTR2018||Japan's Security Dilemmas||6|
|INTR2020||Security and Stability on the Korean Peninsula||6|
|INTR2024||Nuclear Politics in Asia: Challenges and Opportunities||6|
|ASIA2060||Southeast Asian Security||6|