- Code COMP8600
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Computer Science
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Areas of interest Computer Science
This course provides a broad but thorough introduction to the methods and practice of statistical machine learning. Topics covered will include Bayesian inference and maximum likelihood modelling; regression, classification, density estimation, clustering, principal and independent component analysis; parametric, semi-parametric, and non-parametric models; basis functions, neural networks, kernel methods, and graphical models; deterministic and stochastic optimisation; overfitting, regularisation, and validation.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Describe a number of models for supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement machine learning
- Assess the strength and weakness of each of these models
- Interpret the mathematical equations from Linear Algebra, Statistics, and Probability Theory used in these machine learning models
- Implement efficient machine learning algorithms on a computer
- Design test procedures in order to evaluate a model
- Combine several models in order to gain better results
- Make choices for a model for new machine learning tasks based on reasoned argument
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Final Exam (60%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload2 lectures, 1.5 hours each (3 hours total per week, 1 lab session (2 hours) per week, 2 hours independent study per week
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsBishop, Christopher M. Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning , Springer
Students are expected to have a background that is
equivalent to the prerequisites of COMP4670.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2603||19 Feb 2018||27 Feb 2018||31 Mar 2018||25 May 2018||In Person||N/A|