- Code HIND6400
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Hindi
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Cultural Studies
This course completes the development of the advanced beginner level of Hindi listening and reading comprehension skills and spoken and written communication skills. In relation to vocabulary you gain familiarity with how Hindi uses different ranges of words for the same idea according to the context in which people are speaking. Sentence constructions include looking at how to express ideas like one action happening while another is occurring, describing how actions are performed in different contexts, such as when narrating an account of events, and distinguishing between the active and passive modes of expression. Conversational contexts covered include talking about the Hindi film industry, travel inside and outside India and the role that Hindi plays in education. Cultural contexts described include, the importance of song, dance and music in Hindi cinema and pressures of life in modern Indian cities such as Mumbai.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge at an upper Advanced Beginner level of Hindi to:
1. Display an understanding of, and use, formal and informal vocabulary registers.
2. Understand and use a full range of complex sentences, including passive formations.
3. Communicate in written and spoken contexts about wide-ranging issues such as cultural practices, politics, and society and be able to understand and compose short texts on topics such as employment and popular culture.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of contemporary cultural, social, and political issues in India.
Proficiency equivalent: CEFR A2+
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
1. Participation 10% (Learning outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4)
2. Four quizzes 10% (1, 2, 3)
3. Homework 30% (1, 2, 3, 4)
4. Mid term oral - 10 minutes 10% (1, 2, 4)
5. Mid term test - 90 minutes 15% (1, 2, 4)
6. Final oral - 10 minutes 10% (1, 2, 3, 4)
7. Final test - 90 minutes 15% (1, 2, 3, 4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree hours per week.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Teaching materials will be provided via Wattle
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8321||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|