- Code LING6005
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Linguistics
- Areas of interest Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Linguistics
All languages change. This course explores explanations and motivations for change in different linguistic domains. Students will learn how our understanding of the observed types of change enables us to reconstruct past linguistic states and make certain cultural inferences. The class will explore methods and models of language classification.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate an understanding of how and why languages change;
- apply methods of describing linguistic changes and reconstruct earlier stages of languages;
- evaluate and apply models for determining genetic relationships between languages
- undertake guided research in some area of language change.
- critically assess research papers on language change and historical linguistics
Indicative AssessmentTutorial preparation and participation, 10% [LOs 1-5]
2 x Analytical Assignments, 10% each, total 20% [LOs 1, 2, 3]
1,000-word Critical Summary, 10% [LO 5]
2,500-word Essay, 30% [LO 4,5]
2.5-hour Exam, 30% [LOs 1, 2, 3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact: 24 hours of lectures, 12 hours of tutorials per week
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.