- Code MATH3501
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
- Academic career UGRD
- Prof Stephen Roberts
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2018
See Future Offerings
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:1. Describe many of the basic processes and behaviours of different systems and different ways of representing them
2. Evaluate the issues in building and evaluating models, taking into account their purpose and prior knowledge
3. Explain and use some important modelling tools (transfer function, state space, frequency-domain and DE-based models as well as data analysis techniques)
4. Discuss the role of modelling in both industry and science
5. Describe sensitivity and uncertainty analysis techniques
Assessment will be based on:
- Exam (40%; LO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Three Assignments (15% each) demonstrating ability to apply techniques (15% each; LO 2, 3, 5)
- Workshops demonstrating ability to use relevant software (15%; LO 3)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree lectures per week and regular workshops/computer labs.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8070||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|