- Code NSPO8002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU National Security College
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject National Security Policy
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, American Studies, Non Language Asian Studies, Australian Studies, History More...
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
This is a theme-based course that enhances the participants’ understanding of the interrelated nature of national security challenges and the range of policy responses that could be adopted to protect or promote national interests.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
To meet the learning outcomes, participants will need to demonstrate:
- An understanding of Australia’s national security environment and the drivers changing that environment;
- An understanding of the relationships between traditional, non-traditional and emerging national security challenges; and
- An understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of Australia’s capacity to position itself in the face of these challenges.
1500-word Policy Brief (20%); 3500-word Essay (50%); Final Exam (30%).
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Weekly seminars, readings and assessment
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the ANU National Security College to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Areas of Interest
- Arab and Islamic Studies
- American Studies
- Non Language Asian Studies
- Australian Studies
- International Relations
- Political Sciences
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Pacific Studies
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.