- Code SPAN2102
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages, European Studies, Latin American Languages, Latin American Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
- Offered in See Future Offerings
“I speak Spanish. Now, can I talk about the Spanish-speaking world?” This course will make students 'fluent' in culture and confident in their knowledge of the Spanish-speaking world. The course provides students with an overview of Spanish and Latin American history, literature, art, and "high" and "pop" culture, through the exploration of cultural material (texts, films, images) appropriate to their level of Spanish. The course will enable students to engage in informed (spoken and written) exchanges on culturally ingrained issues, preparing them for upper-level courses, as well as for experiences such as study-abroad and cultural exchanges in the workplace.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, student will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand the basic characteristics of Spanish and Latin American cultures
- Summarise Hispanic historical events and literary periods.
- Establish and maintain spoken or written exchanges related to cultural issues.
- Engage in respectful discussions about cultural differences, involving the exchange of information, opinions and experiences.
- Compare their own cultural practices to those in place within Hispanic cultures
- Express ideas through the production of original texts.
Indicative AssessmentFive online quizzes (3% each for a total 15%) LO: 1, 2, 3, 5
Tutorial participation (10%) LO: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Oral presentation [recorded, 7min talk; 3min discussion] (10%) LO: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mid-term exam [in-class, 50mins] (30%) LO: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Final exam 2 hours [during exam period] (35%) LO: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 12 hours of lectures and 24 hours of tutorials; b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9157||22 Jul 2019||29 Jul 2019||31 Aug 2019||25 Oct 2019||In Person||N/A|