- Code STST8001
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by Strategic and Defence Studies Centre
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Strategic Studies
- Areas of interest Political Sciences
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Nina Silove
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2018
See Future Offerings
This course introduces students to the field of Strategic Studies. It focuses on the central questions about war and strategy that animate the field and provides a deep, close analysis of some of the leading frameworks through which scholars address those questions. Specific content includes the causes of war, the nature of war and strategy, the challenges inherent to strategy, grand strategy, strategy in the air, land, and maritime domains, nuclear proliferation and nuclear strategy, and deterrence.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Identify the central questions that animate the subfield of Strategic Studies;
2. Demonstrate knowledge of a selection of the key canonical texts in Strategic Studies;
3. Develop their own answers in response to the questions identified in the course and/or posit new, original questions in Strategic Studies;
4. Identify and evaluate the main methodological approaches of scholars of Strategic Studies; and
5. Apply key Strategic Studies concepts and theories to historical and contemporary issues and cases.
Assignments 60%, Examination 40%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Students undertaking this course could expect a workload of 20 hours a week. This is inclusive of actual contact hours for lectures and also out of class preparation time.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2913||19 Feb 2018||27 Feb 2018||31 Mar 2018||25 May 2018||In Person||N/A|