- Code VIET6002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Vietnamese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
An intermediate level of Vietnamese with an emphasis on active oral and writing skills. This program consolidates and builds on the foundation set in the first year. It focuses on active production of language in selected contexts to promote active recall of vocabulary items and their usage in the appropriate context using the correct grammatical form in accordance with accepted conversational conventions. A reading program forms a part of the program.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Intermediate level of Vietnamese to:
1. Use an active vocabulary of around 1,400 items and a passive vocabulary of around 3,000 items.
2. Recognise and use the main structures of standard Vietnamese on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school and at leisure.
3. Communicate appropriately with native speakers in the most commonly occurring situations; produce simple, connected texts on familiar topics and those of personal interest; and describe experiences, dreams, hopes or viewpoints and future plans.
4. Demonstrate a cultural understanding and awareness of “taboos” and “need-to-do” things in formal communication in Vietnam.
10 Weekly Assignments: 20% (L1, 2 &3)
Mid-term Oral Presentation: 10% (L1, 2 &3)
Final Oral Presentation: 10% (L1, 2 &3)
Mid-term Written Exam: 30% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
Final Written Exam: 30% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Nguyen L., Clark M., and Nguyen Bich Thuan, Spoken Vietnamese for Beginners, Norther Illinois University, 1994
Nguyen Bich Thuan, Contemporary Vietnamese: An Intermediate Text, Northern Illinois University, 1996.
Ton-That Quynh-Du, Learning Vietnamese for speakers of English Book 3, Dept Asian Languages and Studies, Monash University, 1994
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2271||19 Feb 2018||27 Feb 2018||31 Mar 2018||25 May 2018||In Person||N/A|
|3573||19 Feb 2018||27 Feb 2018||31 Mar 2018||25 May 2018||Online||N/A|