- Code VIET6502
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Vietnamese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
The course focuses on language usage at an advanced level in a number of selected settings directly relevant to life in Vietnam. Contexts of language use include aspects of life in Vietnam such as education system, family, social institutions and tourism. A reading program including selected writings by twentieth-century Vietnamese authors forms a part of the course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Advanced level of Vietnamese to:
1. Use an active vocabulary of around 3,000 items and a passive vocabulary of around 5,000 items.
2. Recognise and use a wide range of demanding, argumentative texts on both general and academic matters, and recognize their implicit meanings.
3. Respond spontaneously and with confidence to contemporary issues related to different age and career groups; compose clear and well-structured texts on complex subjects; and present viewpoints with clarity, cohesion, and in a well-organized pattern.
4. Demonstrate a good understanding of present-day Vietnam relevant to their area of academic interest.
10 Weekly Assignments: 20% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
Mid-term Oral Presentation: 10% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
Final Oral Presentation: 10% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
Mid-term Written Exam: 30% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
Final Written Exam: 30% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Nguyen Bich Thuan, Contemporary Vietnamese: an intermediate text, North Illinois University, 1996
Phan Van Giuong, Modern Vietnamese, Stage Three, Victoria University, 1996
Phan Van Giuong, Modern Vietnamese, Stage Four, Victoria University, 1996
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2273||19 Feb 2018||27 Feb 2018||31 Mar 2018||25 May 2018||In Person||N/A|