- Code EMSC4020
- Unit Value 6 to 12 units
- Offered by Research School of Earth Sciences
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Earth and Marine Science
- Areas of interest Earth and Marine Sciences, Chemistry, Biology, Geology, Water Science and Management
This course is for Honours students
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On completion of this course, students will have the skill and knowledge to:
1. Understand the basics of the major analytical techniques including sample preparation, standardisation and data analysis for each technique;
2. Evaluate strengths and weakness of different analytical techniques for different applications;
3. Design an analytical regimen to obtain data relevant to their research proposal;
4. Process data sets produced from some instruments;
5. Report in detail on a chosen technique and on analysis of the data;
6. Write an analytical methods section suitable for publication in a scientific paper;
7. Understand and perform a suite of statistical techniques;
8. Evaluate data sets using appropriate techniques;
9. Assess quality of data needed to obtain specific goals; and
10. Communicate effectively a variety of data analysis tools to Earth Science research problems.
Indicative AssessmentTheory exams (20% LO 1, 2, 5; 25% LO 7, 8, 9)
Practicals (15% LO 3, 4; 25% LO 7-10)
Report on technique (15% LO 1-6)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadExpected to be approximately 130 hours per 6 units.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Assumed KnowledgeBasic knowledge of mathematics and chemistry.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 to 12 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9294||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|