- Code ITAL3506
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Italian
- Areas of interest European Studies, Language Studies
The aims of the course are to extend students' fluency and accuracy in spoken and written Italian, to promote a deeper linguistic and cultural sensitivity in social interactions in Italian and to introduce students to Italian history and history of the language. Class time is divided between interactive language work, focus and reflection on form, and a series of lectures on history, language and culture aimed at developing students' understanding of the origins of the Italian state and its rich historical, linguistic, artistic and cultural background.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate their understanding of extended speech, including lectures in Italian about Italian history and the history of Italians in Canton Ticino, and current affairs programs and films sing a variety of registers and spoken Italian;
- demonstrate their clear grasp of Italian grammar and related linguistic terminology;
- identify and produce complex linguistic structures orally and in writing;
- demonstrate their command of a wide range of vocabulary, idioms and Italian gestures; phonetics and phonology of Italian; and
- compose essays comparing issues and different perspective linked to Switzerland and Ticino.
Indicative Assessment2 written assignments (500 words 15% + 1000 words 25%, total 40%)[LOs 1,2,3,4,5]
2 oral presentations (10mins, recorded ,15% + 15 mins, recorded, 25%, total 40%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
1 in class test 50 min (20%) [LOs 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 42 hours of contact in language classes over 12 weeks; and
b) 88 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|10190||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|