- Code MATH6201
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
This course will introduce students to current research trends in an area of computational mathematics.
- Data mining algorithms
- Multiscale and multilevel techniques
- Numerical solution of PDEs, ie. Finite Element Method
- Approximation in particular of high-dimensional functions
- Algorithms for the solution of linear systems of equations including iterative methods
Note: Graduate students attend joint classes with undergraduates but will be assessed separately.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the fundamental concepts of a special topic in computational mathematics and its role in modern mathematics and applied contexts.
2. Demonstrate accurate and efficient use of specific computational mathematics techniques.
3. Demonstrate capacity for mathematical reasoning through analysing, proving and explaining concepts from computational mathematics.
Assessment will be based on:
- Three assignments (20% each; LO 1-3)
- Final examination (40%; LO 1-3)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadRegular meetings. Regular workshopls/computer Labs.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Mathematical Sciences Institute to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2677||19 Feb 2018||27 Feb 2018||31 Mar 2018||25 May 2018||In Person||N/A|