- Code SKRT6106
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Sanskrit
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr McComas Taylor
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2018
See Future Offerings
Further study of Sanskrit grammar and reading of selections from Sanskrit literature.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Upper Intermediate level of Sanskrit to:
1. Read extracts from Sanskrit courtly poetry smoothly and accurately, and chant the verses with an appropriate meter.
2. Translate the vocabulary of the text in hand with a high level of competence in using a Sanskrit-English dictionary.
3. Demonstrate thorough understanding of the advanced grammatical structures employed in Sanskrit courtly poetry, and demonstrate expertise in using reference grammars.
4. Appraise the linguistic registers of the root text, in contrast with other genres of Sanskrit literature, and reflect this in appropriate English translation; respond creatively to the root text in an appropriate medium.
5. Demonstrate an ability to interpret commentarial texts, showing an understanding of commentarial techniques and vocabulary.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of the social and historical contexts of Sanskrit courtly poetry.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
Indicative AssessmentAssignment 1. YogasÅ«tras (20%)
Assignment 2. Sakuntala class notes, part 1 (20%)
Assignment 3. YogasÅ«tras (20%)
Assignment 4. Sakuntala class notes, part 2 (20%)
Assignment 5. Sakuntala creative project (20%)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Face to face teaching in this course consists of one two-hour reading class each week. Along with the minimum requirements, it is expected that students will:
• attend all sessions
• catch up on any missed session by listening to it at the Wattle site
• prepare for each session by completing the exercises from the previous week (estimate 2-3 hours each week)
This level of participation can be expected to amount to around 8 hours of work each week.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7508||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|
|8799||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||Online||N/A|