- Code SKRT6160
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Sanskrit
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
Study of Sanskrit grammar and reading of selections from Sanskrit Literature.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Advanced Beginner level of Sanskrit to:
1. Read simple epic texts smoothly and accurately and chant texts in sloka meter.
2. Translate the vocabulary of the text in hand through the basic use of a Sanskrit-English dictionary.
3. Recognise the range of grammatical structures in standard epic Sanskrit texts, and demonstrate a working facility in using the reference grammatical text.
4. Appraise the linguistic registers of the root text, in contrast with other genres of Sanskrit literature, and reflect this in appropriate English translation.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of the social and historical contexts of epic Sanskrit texts.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
12 hours per week.
It is expected that students will:
• prepare assigned work for all sessions
• participate in all sessions
• catch up on any missed lecture by listening to the recordings
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2281||19 Feb 2018||27 Feb 2018||31 Mar 2018||25 May 2018||In Person||N/A|
|3793||19 Feb 2018||27 Feb 2018||31 Mar 2018||25 May 2018||Online||N/A|