- Code VIET6103
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Vietnamese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
This program builds on the previous program, VIET6102. It deals with the question of tense, usage of conjunctions and more complex particles. The context of language use covers comparisons, directions, distances and modes of transport, the human body and basic health terms. Attention is given to the social and cultural context of language use.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Advanced Beginner level of Vietnamese to:
1. Use an active vocabulary of around 800 items and a passive vocabulary of around 1,500 items.
2. Recognise and produce contextually appropriate utterances in frequently occurring situations; read and write basic sentences on such topics as daily activities, habits, customs and surrounding environments.
3. Communicate in routine contexts that require a simple and direct exchange of information with slow speech on such topics as personal preferences and immediate needs.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of cultural communication practices when travelling to various localities in Vietnam and interact according to basic social etiquette.
10 Weekly Assignments: 30% (L1 &2)
Mid-term Oral Presentation: 10% (L1, 2 &3)
Final Oral Presentation: 10% (L1, 2 &3)
Mid-term Written Exam: 25% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
Final Written Exam: 25% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Nguyen, L., Clark, M. and Nguyen Bich Thuan, Spoken Vietnamese for Beginners, Northern Illinois University 1994
Ton-That Quynh-Du, Learning Vietnamese for speakers of English Book 3, Dept Asian Languages and Studies, Monash University, 1994
Buu Khai, Learning Vietnamese – a guide to pronunciation, Vietnamese Language and Culture Publications, 1990
Thomson L, Vietnamese grammar, University Hawaii Press, 1988
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8801||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||Online||N/A|