- Total units 48 Units
- Major code CDAR-MAJ
- Academic career Undergraduate
This major is only available to students undertaking the Bachelor of Design Arts.
The Ceramics Design Arts major equips students with skills required for a career as a designer maker. The major provides a strong focus on developing skills and knowledge relating to the materials and processes of the discipline, in relation to the historical and contemporary contexts of the area. Design Arts students will be introduced to current manufacturing options and will learn how technology can assist in the conceptualisation, visualisation, making and promotion processes. Students will respond to design based projects, investigate a wide range of materials and have the opportunity to manufacture multiples and interact with industry. The major is enriched by a program of visiting artists, allowing students to establish contact with leading professional designer/makers and visit design-related events.
At the completion of this major, students should be able to:
- demonstrate sound knowledge of the processes, terminology, forms and materials of ceramics practice.
- develop and evaluate design concepts and processes by thinking creatively, critically and reflectively.
- respond to the demands of a project, either independently or collaboratively, by applying skills and knowledge to the design, visualisation and making of creative works.
- interpret, communicate and present ideas, problems and arguments in modes suited to a range of audiences.
- recognise and reflect on social, ethical, cultural, technological, and environmental issues of creative practice and design considering local and international perspectives.
- identify and apply occupational health and safety principles within a workshop environment.
This major requires the completion of 48 units, which must include:
48 units from completion of the following course(s):
|ARTV1101||Ceramics: Materials & Technology||6|
|ARTV1102||Ceramics: Throwing & Surface Decoration||6|
|DESA2106||Ceramics Design: Glaze & Colour Development||6|
|DESA2110||Ceramics Design: Surface Decorating & Application||6|
|DESA2108||Ceramics Design: Working Large||6|
|DESA2109||Ceramics Design: Public & Private Commissioning||6|
|DESA3004||Craft and Design Major 7: Designing Through Making||6|
|DESA3005||Craft and Design Major 8: Developing a Design Practice||6|