- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code ASIA-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
Australia is increasingly looking to Asia - strategically, economically, politically, and culturally - and all eyes are on the graduates of tomorrow to take us there. Proudly interdisciplinary and interregional, in this minor we train our students to adapt to changes in Australian society and develop links with the cultures and societies of the Asian region through the study of the historical, cultural, social and political structures that have shaped the region. With a minor in Asian Studies you will acquire an in-depth contextual knowledge of the region and the ability to apply interdisciplinary approaches to understanding the issues confronting the region, and graduate with the kind of Asian literacy that gets you noticed by employers.
Having completed this minor, students will be able to:
1. Identify some of the important processes by which knowledge about Asia has been produced, circulated and applied.
2. Analyse some of the major trends in Asia within regional and global comparative frameworks.
3. Understand some of the theoretical frameworks and research techniques in humanities and social science literatures relevant to the study of Asia.
4. Evaluate ideas and develop creative solutions to problems, including through independent pursuit of knowledge and making connections between different disciplinary approaches and methods.
5. Communicate and debate both orally and in writing, and work with others, using a variety of media.
6. Continue learning about Asia; from Asia; and with Asia.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A minimum of 6 units from completion of the following courses:
ASIA1025 Asia and the Pacific: Power, diversity and change
ASIA1030 Asia and the Pacific in Motion
A maximum of 18 units from completion of the following courses:
ASIA3029 Reconciliation and the memory of conflict in East Asia
ASIA2009 The Making of Modern Japan: From Samurai to Economic Superpower and Beyond
ASIA2040 The Making of Modern Korea
ASIA2271 The Making of South Asia
ASIA2037 History of Modern China
ASIA2516 Indonesia: Politics, Society and Development
ASIA2017 History of International Relations in Northeast Asia
ASIA2041 Mainland Southeast Asia: Colonial and Postcolonial Predicaments
ASIA2307 History of Empire in Asia
ASIA2301 Prehistoric Origins: Archaeology of Asia and the Pacific
ASIA2065 Asian Politics: From Concepts to Causes
ASIA2302 Culture and Modernity in Asia: Anthropological Perspectives
ASIA2304 What is Literature? Asian Perspectives
ASIA2311 Gender and Cultural Studies in Asia and the Pacific
INTR2010 International Relations in the Asia-Pacific
ASIA2001 Language in Asia and the Pacific
ASIA2103 Language in Asia and the Pacific (L)
ASIA2067 Economies of Emerging Asia
STST2001 International Security Issues in the Asia Pacific