- Length 1.5 year full-time
- Minimum 72 Units
- Academic plan 7829XMMDS
- CRICOS code NO CRICOS
- Academic contact
The Masters of Military and Defence Studies is offered in conjunction with the Australian Command and Staff Course (Joint) at the Australian Command and Staff College. It is designed to give students a thorough understanding of the following areas of practice:
- Strategy and Operations;
- Australian Defence Policy;
- Military Operations, Leadership and Command; or
- Australia and the Use of Force
Entry is restricted to students who are posted as course members to the Australian Command and Staff College
Graduates from ANU have been rated as Australia's most employable graduates and among the most sought after by employers worldwide.
The latest Global Employability University Ranking, published by the Times Higher Education, rated ANU as Australia's top university for getting a job for the fourth year in a row.
Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
1. Master the specialised theoretical and integrated learning in strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australian foreign and defence policy.
2. Investigate, analyse, and critique complex scholarly works and, where applicable, policy documents relevant to strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australian foreign and defence policy.
3. Synthesize complex theories relating to the conduct of strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australia foreign and defence policy.
4. Generate and evaluate complex ideas to practical problems in a contemporary setting and exercise judgment in military, defence or policy contexts.
5. Design, evaluate, and analyse the developments in strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australian foreign and defence policy.
6. Justify and interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies and conclusions in strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australian foreign and defence policy.
An AQF Level 7 or 8 qualification or international equivalent in a cognate discipline
All applicants must meet the University's English Language Admission Requirements for Students
For information about how a 7-point GPA is calculated for Australian universities, please see: http://www.uac.edu.au/postgraduate/admission/qualifications-GPA.shtml.
This degree is only open to selected personnel who have been posted to the Australian Command and Staff College.
History, Political Science, International Relations, Economics, Philosophy, English, Engineering, Sociology, Social Science
ANU offers a wide range of scholarships to students to assist with the cost of their studies.
Eligibility to apply for ANU scholarships varies depending on the specifics of the scholarship and can be categorised by the type of student you are. Specific scholarship application process information is included in the relevant scholarship listing.
For further information see the Scholarships website.
The Master of Military and Defence Studies requires the completion of 72 units, which must consist of:
24 units from the completion of the following:
48 units from the completion of the following:
STST8100 Australia's Strategic and Defence Policy
STST8104 Operations II
STST8105 Operations III
STST8117 Command and Leadership
STST8121 Art of War I
STST8122 Art of War II
STST8123 Art of War III
STST8124 Art of War IV