- Total units 48 Units
- Specialisation code BIOL-HSPC
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Biology Honours specialisation encourages you to develop a rich and active appreciation of the latest research in biology. Usually taken full time for two consecutive semesters, it is structured around the planning and execution of a substantial research project under the supervision of a research supervisor, culminating in the production of a thesis. Along the way, you will develop skills in laboratory or field techniques, analysis and critical reasoning, and written and oral communication. Biology honours provides you with a solid foundation in the principles of evidence-based enquiry, and can be an entry into many careers both within and outside of science.
- 8 courses in the subject area biology with at least 4 3000-level courses or equivalent
- written consent of an identified supervisor for the research project
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Plan and engage in an independent and sustained critical investigation and evaluation of a chosen research topic to generate new knowledge in an area of biology.
2. Systematically evaluate relevant theory and concepts, relate these to appropriate methodologies and evidence, and draw appropriate conclusions
3. Analyse and interpret original biology data with statistical or other evaluative processes where appropriate.
4. Understand and apply principles of laboratory safety and relevant laboratory techniques.
5. Demonstrate sufficient mastery to understand and apply relevant experimental techniques and methods in biology to collect original research data.6. Communicate and justify complex concepts and results clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
The assessment aligns with the learning outcomes and includes:
· Honours Research Thesis (85%) (LO 1-6)
· Grant Proposal 15% (LO 1-4, 6)
· Introductory Seminar CRS (LO 6)
· Final Seminar CRS (LO 6)
· Mid-term Report CRS (LO 1, 3, 6)Seminar Log Book CRS (LO 2, 5)
For more information on Honours year in Science, please visit:
For more information on how to apply for Honours in Science include deadlines, please visit:
- Bachelor of Applied Data Analytics (Honours) (HADAN)
- Bachelor of Biotechnology (Honours) (HBIOT)
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies (Honours) (HENVS)
- Bachelor of Genetics (Honours) (HGENE)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) (HMDSA)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) (HMEDS)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science (APHSC)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) / Bachelor of Science (Honours) - ANU as home institution (APNSC)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) (Honours) (ASCAD)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) (HSC)