- Code ARCH6050
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Archaeology and Anthropology
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Archaeology
- Areas of interest Archaeology, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies
The course presents an overview of the archaeological research undertaken in Mainland and Island Southeast Asia from 1.5 million years ago to the Indianized civilizations of the first and early second millennia AD. Particular emphasis will be placed on the Pleistocene colonisation of SE Asia; on the archaeology of early agricultural and Bronze/Iron Age societies; on the archaeology of the Indianized civilizations of Burma, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia; and on the cultural and linguistic ancestries of the present inhabitants of Southeast Asia.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate a comprehension of the broad trajectory of socio-political development in prehistoric/historic SE Asia evolution;
- Critically evaluate archaeological journal articles; and
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge needed to have a basic concept of regional archaeology.
Indicative AssessmentOral and written assessment (for a total of 15%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3]
- Presentation, 20 minutes (9%)
- Presentation summary, 500 words (6%)
Critical reading exercises, 100 words each (2.5% each for a total of 5%) [Learning Outcome 2]
Essay, 3500 words (40%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]
Exam, 2 hours (40%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3]
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact: 24 hours of lectures and 12 hours of workshop and workshop-like activities; and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9048||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|