- Code ARTV6717
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
This course will explore the artist book as both an independent art form with a long history and as a creative tool within a broader contemporary art practice. Students will research and produce a range of book models in the studio, culminating in an independent project which creatively explores the potential of the book as art. Work health and safety instruction is an integral component of this course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- in response to set tasks, competently utilise a range of skills relevant to book design;
- independently explore the potential of materials relevant to book design;
- apply concepts and techniques to the development of resolved works of art;
- demonstrate a critical awareness of relevant historical traditions and conventions across the field of book design and its relationship to contemporary art; and
- comply with work health and safety requirements and procedures.
Other InformationSchool of Art & Design studio courses have a limited enrolment capacity. Students are advised to enrol as early as possible to maximise the opportunity of securing a place.
Indicative AssessmentPortfolio of student work (60%) Learning Outcomes 1–5
Oral Presentation, 5 minutes (10%) Learning Outcomes 1–5
Independent Work Proposal, 500 words (10%) Learning Outcomes 1–5
Critical Reflection, 1500 words (20%) Learning Outcomes 1–5
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up of:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks comprising lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.