- Code ARTV8300
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
This course takes the form of an intensive studio-based masterclass led by a specialist practitioner in the visual arts. It provides students with the opportunity to engage with the practical, theoretical and conceptual dimensions of a focussed area of studio practice through interaction with a leader in the field. Taking their own studio practice project as a key investigatory framework, students will critically analyse other approaches to practice and test out, through an interdisciplinary experience, alternative ways of giving ideas visual form.
The Masterclass aims to work in association with the existing visiting artist program at the School of Art, capitalising on the highest calibre of guest lecturers and researchers.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
The Masterclass will provide students with the ability to:
1. identify the historical and theoretical parameters of a specific topic within the broad context of contemporary visual arts practice
2. analyse the relevance and implications of a specific topic to their individual discipline or area of study
3. extend their established studio-based skills through experimental and interdisciplinary methods
4. synthesise new concepts and approaches into their individual area of study
5. reflect upon and evaluate their own learning through written and verbal forms of communication
Workshop participation 40% (outcomes 1-5)
Studio project 30% (outcomes 3,4)
Seminar presentation (10mins) 10% (outcomes 1,2,5)
Reflective journal (1,000wds) 20% (outcomes 1,2,5)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 35 hours of contact: lectures and tutorials, delivered intensively over 5 days; and b) 95 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Art and Design to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Prescribed TextsReadings will be posted online as an e-brick prior to the Masterclass.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.