- Code COMP6363
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Computer Science
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Areas of interest Computer Science
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
- Offered in See Future Offerings
This course covers the theoretical computer science areas of formal languages and automata, computability and complexity. Topics covered include: regular and context-free languages; finite automata and pushdown automata; Turing machines; Church's thesis; computability - halting problem, solvable and unsolvable problems; space and time complexity; classes P, NP and PSPACE; NP-Completeness.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:At successful completion of the course, students should:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of formal computation and its relationship to languages
- Distinguish different computing languages and classify their respective types
- Recognise and comprehend formal reasoning about languages
- Show a competent understanding of the basic concepts of complexity theory
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Hopcropft, J.E., Motwani, R. & Ullman, J.D.Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation 3rd edition, Pearson Education, 2007.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4558||24 Feb 2020||02 Mar 2020||08 May 2020||05 Jun 2020||In Person||N/A|